To petition to bring your sibling (brother or sister) to live in the United States as a green card holder, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years of age.
To successfully complete the process, the U.S. citizen petitioner (i.e. the sponsor) must submit:
- A completed Form I-130. (Note: You do not need to file a separate Form I-130 for your sibling’s spouse or unmarried children under 21 years of age.)
- A copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your sibling’s birth certificate showing that you have at least one common parent.
- Evidence that you are a U.S. citizen, such as:
- A copy of your valid U.S. passport, OR
- A copy of your U.S. birth certificate, OR
- A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad, OR
- A copy of your naturalization certificate, OR
- A copy of your certificate of citizenship
Additional Documentation for Siblings through Adoption, Step Parents or Paternal Half-Siblings
If you and your sibling are related through adoption, please also submit:
- A copy of the adoption decree(s) showing that the adoption took place before you or your sibling (the adopted child) became 16 years old.
- If you and your sibling are related through a step-parent, please also submit:
- Copies of documents showing that any prior marriage(s) of the natural parent and/or step-parent were legally terminated, AND
- A copy of the marriage certificate of the step-parent to the natural parent (age restrictions for meeting definition of step-child apply)
- If you and your sibling have a common (biological) father but different mothers (i.e. you are paternal half-siblings), please also submit:
- Copies of the marriage certificates of the father to each mother, AND
- Copies of documents showing that any prior marriages of either your father or mothers were legally terminated.
We are not attorneys. We can only provide self-help services at your specific direction. DP Legal Solutions is not a law firm, and cannot represent customers, select legal forms, or give legal or tax advice. Services are provided at customers' request and are not substitute for advice of a lawyer. Because legal needs vary from individual to individual, you should seek the advice of trained professionals if you have any questions regarding your particular legal matters. Prices ALWAYS do not include court costs.
DP Legal Solutions
2016 Lewelling Blvd
San Leandro , CA 94579
Mon to Fri : 9:30am to 5:30pm
Saturday : 10:00am to 4:00pm
Phone : (510)-346-5686
Fax : (925)-459-6789